Tuesday, April 30, 2013

This Boy's Heart



  Music has always been a big piece of who I am. I've always felt as if it's a part of me, like tasting or breathing. From the time I was young, when I would sit in my little chair listening to a song over and over again on my record player until I knew all its secrets, I've felt it's power. Music is my companion and confidant.
  It's my heart when I don't know how to expose my own.


 While driving to the store the other day, a song I've never heard before came on the radio. From the first notes of the guitar, it pulled me in. As I listened to the words my eyes filled with tears.
  She was singing about me; Singing the words I would have written if I could have found them.
  Words about how I felt growing up and still feel now.
  Words of sorrow for the pieces of himself my son must leave behind in order to be considered a man.
  Words, which, quite simply, tell the story of us all, before we're told who we're suppose to be.

 There was no need to listen to this song over and over again; Its secrets have always been kept in this boy's heart.

Me and "Mean Green"  1975


Dar Williams "When I Was A Boy"




















No comments:

Post a Comment